Saturday, August 19, 2017

Week 4 Over, Malaysia Festival!

Hey, all!

I didn't make a post last weekend because I didn't have any new pictures to give you and I thought I would try to get pictures and make another post in the middle of the week. By the time I remembered about the blog, it was Wednesday before I went to bed, so it wasn't going to happen. So I decided that I would just wait a few days and make a 'late' post to get back on track. It's hard for me to remember to make a post during the week when I am thinking about so much school. It's definitely easier for me to remember to make a post during the weekend when I'm relaxing and not so busy and thinking about school all the time.

Not a whole lot happened last week after my last post, probably adding on to me not posting during the weekend. I did go to a roommate's birthday party, which was held at a bar. Before we went, a couple of my roommates, a couple of their friends, and I had some pizza and some alcohol before going to the party. We also played a quite a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity and I wasn't on the losing end this time, so that was great fun! I was probably one of the first to leave the party, but I did stay for a little over an hour. I tried drinking some sparkling wine that was on the free bar tap, but I just couldn't drink it since it tasted bad to me and I don't like beer or wine. I ended up abandoning the drink on a table, haha. I enjoyed some of the free food offered though. One was fried chicken that had been freshly fried. It was extremely hot when I got it and I had problems holding it long enough to eat it and I didn't have a napkin to hold it. I think the tips of my fingers got a little burned. They were sensitive for a little bit.

Sunday, not much happened other than just relaxing. I meant to get stuff done that day for the following week, but that just didn't happen. Monday, I went to a club hangouts event for the Japanese Students' Association and played some card games as well as got ready for a few classes for that week.

Wednesday, I went to watch another episode of Doctor Who with the club and played more Cards Against Humanity. I was on the losing end here, though, but we tried some various rules and that was pretty fun!

Yesterday, I was invited by a new friend to the Malaysia Festival this weekend and to try new food and hang out with her. I was really happy and accepted the invitation. After class, I rushed off to an anime event that was showing 5 cm/ second and Your Name. I've seen both before, but the first one made a little bit more sense the second time I watched it. Your Name was better this time round since I could understand a little bit more and it was better quality as well! After that, I managed to be able to sign up to go to a Japanese Foundation Reading Night event for my Japanese class that I can use to count toward my grade. I am really looking forward to experiencing this event and reading a couple Japanese books!

Today (19 Aug 2017), I met with my friend at a bus stop since she lives close and we rode the bus together to get to the park where the Malaysia Festival was. As soon as we got there, we started looking around at the food and what to get. I left it open for her recommendation and I was not disappointed. In the midst of getting the food, we met another person and she joined our small group as well. We talked and shared food, it was a great time. Then the new friend bought us a drink called Tall Grass Cane Sugar juice (has sugar, lemon/lime, and ginger), it was pretty tasty! I was overwhelmed, a bit, by their willingness to share the food and buy me stuff since I was willing to pay, but they shooed my wallet away and said they would treat me. An Ibis was pretty bold and managed to take chicken bones that were sitting in our discard pile. It was pretty crazy seeing all the birds being pretty bold. I also ended up seeing an Ibis (maybe the same one?) with a kebab full of food on it and that really had me surprised. I also tried some dessert foods and it was all pretty tasty. My new friends began joking that they would make me Malaysian yet and that I wasn't actually American since I have very different views and am very accepting. It was pretty funny and they were starting to teach me a little bit of their language. Toward the end, I tried some durian and the smell was okay, I don't really get where people say it smells bad. The initial taste reminded me of a cantaloupe or honeydew (since they taste the same to me), but I was a bit overwhelmed after the third bite and had to put the fruit down. They congratulated me on being able to eat it and were pretty surprised that I liked it. One even said that I was only the second Westerner to like durian that she knows of. After that, we went to the cultural booth to look for something to have a souvenir of the time and I ended up getting a Henna tattoo.

That was pretty much the end of that event and we rode the bus back together and went our separate ways. When I got back to my room, I relaxed and ate a little more and waited for the Henna tattoo to try and absorb into my skin a little more and then I started cleaning the apartment since it was my turn to clean. It took about an hour or so, but I was being pretty thorough. I wanted to do some studying tonight, but I don't think that's going to happen. I have three quizzes this week and will have to study and be ready, so I will be doing that starting tomorrow.

I think that's all I have for now! Until next time!


 ^^: Left, is a picture of outside my class. I was trying to capture how smokey it was on Monday, but you couldn't quite see it in the picture. It also smelled smokey, but apparently it was just a controlled burn. Right, was the cards we played with in the hangouts event and I thought they looked really cool!
 ^^: After the hangouts event, there was a meeting that I could attend as general committee member. After the meeting, we went out to dinner and I had some ramen! I also got to take some food home for lunch the next day, so that was nice!
 ^^: Left, a flashmob (apparently) dancing. It looked fun! Right, my friend taking a picture of me in front of dancing ladies and the Malaysia Festival sign!
 ^^: Left, the Henna tattoo I got while it was still wet. I will probably post a picture what it looks like when all the stuff has fallen off. Right, is my friend from school (bottom left), new friend (bottom right), and I (top middle). I had fun with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment