Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Parents Gone, Break Continues

Hey, all!

It's been a week since my last post, and I was planning on posting the day my parents left, but obviously that didn't happen. I was having a bit of a hard time with them leaving, even harder than when I initially left for Australia. I think it might have been because I had so much fun traveling around Australia with them and we never really do that when I'm home any more, so it was nice to do it again.

Anywho~!

Wednesday (July 5), my mom was feeling better enough to go to Melbourne Zoo and we did that for a bit. Apparently, it was boasted to be The zoo to go to in Australia, or Melbourne, or something. I honestly wasn't that impressed with it since I had gone to the Australia Zoo. I feel like the Australia Zoo is the best zoo I have been to (and I don't think I'm being too biased since that's where I pet and fed a red panda >.> haha). The one thing that made this zoo worth while, to me, was that they had two red pandas and one of them was the most active one I have ever seen. We got there about 30 minutes after the zoo opened and one of them was already laying down to nap throughout the day. The other one, however, was running around his cage and up and down his tree marking everything (I noticed that from the information the zookeeper gave when I pet and fed Ravvi). We were there a good 15 minutes, if not a little more and he was still being relatively active. It was great and I loved it. There was one other thing that made the zoo trip and that was at the end, when we visited the Japanese garden as well as the Siamangs that were near by. They were making such a huge ruckus that we heard them well before we got to them. On the way over, I was trying to figure out if the noise was from a bird, a monkey, a man, or a recording. Found out that it was from a type of monkey called Siamang. They were rather humorous once I knew where it was coming from.

Later that day, after we had left and gotten back to our hotel (my mom was feeling ill again and needed to rest up) and relaxed a bit. My mom and I went out shopping a bit and found some souvenirs.

Thursday, we left Melbourne to go back to Sydney and in the process it was a little hectic between my parents since my mom had planned on doing a straight shot train from Sydney to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, but something happened and it didn't make it's way into my parents' travel folder, so we didn't know exactly what train she was talking about. So we ended up taking a couple of trains to get there. It was about a two and a half hour travel time, but I think it was nice. We spent one night in the Blue Mountains before heading back to Sydney. We didn't do too much in Katoomba as my mom was too sick to travel their hills. We did relax a bit and my dad and I walked around the hotel a little. My mom and I had both picked up a haunted-like sensation, so we suspect there were ghosts there.

I felt better when we left the next day to go back to Sydney. We went to a cake place that I had been to before to get a birthday cake since I still hadn't had any cake with family for my birthday. We ended up getting the Italian Chocolate Mousse cake for me and my mom (and for me to talk back to my apartment- I still have a piece left. I will be eating that tonight), and a Hokkaido Strawberry for my dad. The cafe gave us candles on the house, but we forgot to buy matches and so I just pretended to blow out the candles, haha! It was a fun time and after we had cake and dinner, my mom and I went back out to go souvenir hunting since they were leaving in the morning to go to the airport. We got back to the hotel about 10 pm and I stayed up a bit longer while my parents went to sleep.

Saturday, I still woke up before my mom and after my dad and we had breakfast downstairs while my mom slept in some more. My mom was a bit upset at that, but it had already happened. I guess the lesson for next time would be to briefly wake her to see if she wanted to join us. Will probably try that next time. After finishing packing, we checked out and waited for the shuttle to pick us up downstairs. I helped them navigate the airport a bit to get where they needed to go to check in and get to security, but that's where I left them since I couldn't go with them passed security since I didn't have a boarding pass. That was rough for both my mom and I, but probably more so for her. After getting back to my apartment, I got caught up on anime that I was watching and started watching new TV shows on Netflix.

Sunday and Monday was much of the same. Monday, I remembered that I needed to rewrite one of my stories to make it more of a children's book format instead of the short story I had originally written it to be, to help collaborate with the artist. I started reading a few children's books I got as well as watching some Final Fantasy X play-through to get an idea of how to write. This is for a club and it will get published into a book/magazine format and sold within the club, maybe a little outside, if there's interest. I'm a little nervous since I've never written a children's book-like story and I haven't written in about six years since I graduated high school. I may be nervous, but hopefully it'll come out fine as most of the material is there, I just ultimately need to shorten it and rewrite it in a way that fits the children's book type.

Today, I watched more of Final Fantasy X and played games on my phone. I also got my grades posted to my UNSW account today. I passed all of them, though one was barely passed and I didn't pass them as much as I would have liked, but that's something I'm learning to let go. I may not have gotten the grades I wanted, but I did the best with what I had even with no idea of how they would actually grade things or what their expectations were. So, unless something unexpected back home happens, I will be spending one more semester here and hopefully this semester, I will have an easier time. I will be taking an engineering course, a math course, a Japanese course, and a Greece history course. I feel like the three former classes better fit how my brain works, but we'll see this semester.

Tomorrow, I will be watching more of the Final Fantasy X and hopefully start (and maybe finish) the first draft to rewriting the story and send that to the artist for her advice.I'm hoping to also make it out to a tattoo shop and see about getting another tattoo before I leave. We'll see how that goes.

I think that's all for now. Until next time!

^^: The Siamangs making noise
^^: Active red panda climbing tree above me. Like, literally above my head.
 ^^: Left, inside a building in Melbourne. It was interesting and artistic to look at. Right, a bunch of wires over a pair of cross streets. I suspect it's for their tram service, but I don't recall seeing trams run in that area.
 ^^: The view from our hotel room in Melbourne.
 ^^: Left, a lion eating breakfast or lunch. Right, a koala!

 
 
 ^^: Above and left, the red panda that was pretty active. Right, a meerkat!

No comments:

Post a Comment